Friday, October 13, 2006

Pratigya

Hello friends, a post too soon… I was really provoked by my own self to write about today, about the great time I had being apart of ‘Pratigya’

As a preface I’d like to tell you something about Pratigya. Pratigya is something I don’t really know. All I know is that these people went to some school in village and got some cards made from children out there, and the cards are then sold at college. The money hence collected is given to the school for the benefit for the children. Sounds pretty simple, right? I too thought the same… till today.

In the morning Rajanvir in his own ‘All India 4th prize winner in debate’ style told me that they were going to the place today. I was a bit hesitant to accept his offer of going along with him. But somehow, I was game.
We were to leave at 10:30. Me and Rajan on my bike, bought some samosas(for the children) and he lead me to a really filthy place, and I parked my bike in front of a small un-cemented house, with a buffalo tied in one of the sheds and some children sitting on rags. That’s what Rajan called the ‘School’. I searched for a teacher out there. And my search ended at a lady in around twenties ‘aunty’ with a long stick in hand. In any case we were in. Other pratigya members, who reached before us, were busy pasting a small sheet on the back of cards. I too got glue and started the work. Some of my friends were really astonished to find me there (As if I was an Alien to the land). Anyways.. I was there doing the work and observing the activities at the same moment. Children were sitting in the open. There was an aged women resting in one of the rooms of house, and another aunty cooking something on stove. The buffalo was attending natures call (shayad thapar ki kudiyan dekh kar use complex a gaya tha.. so tension me thi).

After we were done with the sticking stuff, we moved over to stage two. (The children were given samosas in the meantime). We had to paint a child’s hand. And get its impression on the back of card. Then the children were to write their name on it. I never took paint in my hand. The blogger’s eye was busy in observation.
There were around 25 students of different age groups (below 10). I don’t really know what they were taught. They were all made to sit in discipline by the rule of stick. One by one the paint was applied to each child’s hand. Ek bohat cute sa sardar tha. After the hand impression was taken, he was asked to wash hands. He went to the water bucket for the purpose, and calmly cleaned his hands. But suddenly a gal follows him to the same place and puts her hand in the same bucket. So the scene was like. One bucket, four hands, six eyes. (2 xtra blogger ki jo sabb kuch dekh rahi thi). The four hands suddenly shook the bucket and some bubbles arose outaa the water. Smiles could be seen, enveloping face of the 'tiny birds'. But before I could think of anything else, the stick made them disperse and take their seats. (I wish I could click a snap).
Then was the turn to write their names on the cards. So children were asked to come one by one. We had to confirm from each of them whether he knew how to write his name? Many of them didn’t and the others were first asked to write it first on a piece of paper, and them copy the same to the card. But we had more to do. We had to write the child’s name ourselves on the paper, in language he was comfortable in, and then he would copy the impression, first in rough then in fair on the card. Still, many of them couldn’t copy it right. The hindi ki matras always made a confusion. (Specially in a name kranti, who put a bade ‘e’ as well as chote ‘e’ ki marta on ‘ta’)

The sardar’s name was “Ashish”. A really shy guy. Too much dedicated towards studies. We saw him opening his copy even after the school time was up and the children were asked to pack their bags. A future ‘dassi’ maybe. The first time I saw him smile was when I took him over my shoulders. Here are some snaps posted of the great personality.

There were two more guys. I could guess one of them must be the Class Representative. The way he was instructing each one of them to put an impression, write a name etc. the other seemed to be his personal assistant.

To end up the spree, Rajan started distributing some pencils etc. to them. As he was distributing, he asked to say ‘babbu’ zor se to get the goodies (Babbu was the pet name of one of our mates there). So everyone was after him saying ‘uncle babbu’. In the end, a small gal approached him and asked for a pencil. He said that she already had it, so couldn’t get another one. And the clever gal says, ‘BABBU’ and extends her hand again… ;)

That was all…. A final ‘bizzzzing’ round with the studs, and we were on our way back to the good old Thapar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dat must ve been a very different xperience.. workin 4 a noble cause..
i ve seen d result (i mean d cards).. dey r really beautiful..
wonderful work..

Damanpreet singh said...

This is amazing stuff..!! We all want to do it but we are too lazy. You are so lucky to have friends like Rajan who can pursue you for this..Pics are very good..Great job guys..you rock..!!

dolphindeep2k said...

O kaka G.... that woz toooooo goooooooodddddddddd..... aunty jus luved it..... tussi enve de gud kamm v karde o.... BG padh k maja aa geya.... naale o cutie ASHISH n his jundi is really tweeeeeeeeeet.... maza aa geya e vala blog padh K....

KEEP IT UP MAN...

Ojaswini said...

my comment too, my comment too :D

it was an awesome post, really.. i mean, i never heard students doing smthing like this.. and to hear this from u was quite a surprise!! keep up the good work.. its nice to know that u did go there & enriched yrself (and all of us - thru yr blog) with such an experience.. :)