Monday, July 17, 2006

Five Minutes of 'Fame'

Hmm. The training finally ended on Saturday, but with a sad note… A saga of events... had to part with the new frnds, ek ladki jo pasand ai thi vo bina bat kiye ja rahi thi and my rival won again, project dekh k ma’am said that she expected something better from us… Whatever, that’s life…
But the day today… the registration day… :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I’m not happy coz I was officially being promoted to a new semester. The reason is something else… I’ll start off with the yesterday… ie. The Sunday 16th July.
As said by the Dean Acads, I had to deliver a speech at the orientation program for the first year on 17th, the Monday.
(I always “longed” to get a chance to take part in debates in the school times)
I woke up at around 12 p.m.(Sunday) in the afternoon and made out plans like I’ll be completing the draft of the speech by 6 p.m. then wud start with its cramming up and so on… hmm.. the speech was made till 6pm.. but jab tak Orkut zindabad.. aage k sare plans choupat.. I was orkutting till 8.. Still I think I had enugh time… so I started.. I think I welcomed the students(the first line of speech) around 15-20 times in this undertaking… and raat 1 baje tak I was “unable” to speak out the whole of speech without looking into the paper… Literally speaking… meri “fatti hui thi”!!!
And the worst part was that I didn’t know at what time was the program where I had to face the mob.
Anyways, today I reached college at 8, and I came to know that the program was at 11.
To shorten the blog, I’ll directly take a leap into the auditorium…
My First Fear The students were accompanied by their parents and the near and dear ones..
My Second fear.. I was made to sit on the stage with Mrs. Shanatakumari on my right and Mrs. Alpana Aggarwal on my left..
My Greatest Fear… FATTI PADI THI!!!
After the mic heard the voices of The Dean Acads, Dean Student Affairs, S.Das (the most interesting speaker, the head of the “phyotech department” hu told us “phot is phyotech”) and some more.. and finally to Mrs Seema bawa.. Then to DEEPINDER SINGH KALRA!!!
Stepped forward… tick tock tick tock… dhak dhak dhak dhak… dayen deekha.. bayen deekha… koi dekhne layak ladki nahi dikhi.. fir bass meri mundi upar neeche left right.. looking into nothing but darkness, I just vomited all I had to speak completing the five minutes speech in three minutes…
The best part… there was no 'biz biz' for a change as I spoke… ;)
I came back and sat down… looking towards the audience for a reaction.. I could see none, except for the applause that still echoes in my ears
(I wondered if those were hallucinations)
The orientation ended…
The moment of my life… Dean Sir approaches me and says thank u.. well done.. I asked ‘Sir theek than na??’ sir says… “arey bohat badiya tha”
Okay hunn tak mittar famous ho chukka si…
As I moved out of the audi, I could see some eyes falling on me (or maybe I felt that), whatever I just rushed out.. Then, some more appreciation… some parents approached me, introduced themselves and their wards to me, and asked some questions abt the college and studies… Arey ek to bohat hi mast tha… Father pooch rahe they ki kya ise abhi PC leker dena chahiye… I said yes. Harshit said maybe.. And the son was reacting like. “Papa te aavein hi kahi jande ne, hor te chahida nahi ki PC, I’m a big man now” ( that’s what his actions said)
And the most precious one.. “Beeta have u been taking part in debates and everything before???”
I think I could…. I wish I would…..


P.S. taking into consideration the length of the blog, I’d post some extract of the speech in my next blog!!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chalo.. so finally deep had sm great moments at college :) sahi hai.. i hope now that the confidence has come up in u, u wd participate more in such things and this statement "My Greatest Fear… FATTI PADI THI!!!" vanishes from the blogs for those days, hehehehhe.. vaise yeh blogspot ban kyun ho gayi?? chalo keep writing, and enjoying yr days at college!! how r yr freshers??!!