Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Interview... Screwed it all...

Hi Blog… must not be expecting me sooo soon… hmm had to be here.. Well I’m not gonna write what I spoke in my speech… but rather I’ll tell u how the interviewers screwed me…. Vaise interviews are all about screwing up the innocent chaps.. Sorry.. Innocent people… (No slang to be used now... The reason u’ll get to know soon)

Okay this was an interview for the admission to the BE-MBA course of the TIET… Though we are all selected because the seats are 80 and the students who applied just 20.. Still it’d a matter of shame if I’d be ranked 20 :( (Fingers crossed)

Yesterday was an aptitude test… Mittran nu shaunk tukke maaran da.. 100% attempt :D
The day today started with a GD on “Can business and ethics go together?”
Here was my first interaction with the interviewers... when one of them asked, “Is the topic okay or does it need to be changed” very confidently I admitted “Sir, if others agree, it can be changed.”
Won’t say anything else about the GD, for it went just average… and Miss Waraich being the shining star…
Then came the hour of ordeal
There was a panel of four people (two professors of the Thapar, Deputy Director of iit delhi, and fourth one I don’t know who) to take the hell outaa me, Oops, its out of me….
I’ll try to draw the exact picture, portraying the exact sequence of events and the exact words used... As far as I can… here you go…

The Interview:

Me: May I come in sir… (Not heard)…. Sir may I come in?????
Interviewer (In): just a moment… yes come in…
Me: (after giving sort nod, as if wishing them… hello)
In: So Deepinder…. Deepinder Singh….. Tell me something about yourself...
Me: Well, Sir I’m simple guy……
In: (looking straight into me) guy??? What does guy mean???
Me: sorry sir, it’s a slang word, ought not be used over here, but since I used it I’m sorry for that…
In: Have u ever seen the meaning of the word guy in the English dictionary??
Me: I’m sorry sir, I haven’t...

In: (talking among themselves) Actually he uses the word 'guy' because George Bush uses it.. (and they shared a laugh over my sweating face)
I suggest you for the future not to use these words in such formal places… and btw, what’s the opposite of guy.
Me: (amusingly) Sir it’s a gal….
In: Hmm… So what else..
Me: I’m a simple g…….
In: But you don’t look to be simple….
Me: (amazed, astonished, threatened….) Sir I just try to make myself presentable enough…
In: okay… tell something else..
Me: I come from a medical background, My Mom, dad and sister..
In: So how did u opt for engg.
Me: Sir, I had no interest in bio, and I and my mother always wanted me to be engineer.
In: these days there is more use of Mom and dad and so on... why???

Me: Sir, we are living in an internet world, and ppl are into these chatting and stuffs.. Where the use of shorthand is too much...
In: okay why do u think that you are doing MBA…
Me: (I thought that I had my chance) Sir, its not mandatory for an engineer to do MBA, but still it important because adds to you managerial skills, for example, you make a mobile, and engg. Would have only the technical knowledge, on the other hand a business manager would have only the knowledge of how to market the product, but if u are a techno manager, then u are in a situation to increase the marketing but having the know-how of the product as you sell them…
In: what all subjects did you study in your last semester and what all credits…
Me: umm.. umm.. umm… Operating Systems 4.5 credits, Numerical Analysis and design 4.5 credits, material Science and engg. 4.5 credits… System management (??) 3.5 credits… umm…Environmental Studies 3 credits…. Sir I’ve named 6 (please count again guys) and yes Computer Design 3.5 credits….
In: there is no subject like Comp Design.. its comp Architecture… :
Me: Oh yes sir, sorry..
In: This shows ur seriousness abt ur studies…
Me: (blank)
In: These days you see the companies advertising too much, do you think that its good for them??
Me: Well, the advertisement is very imp, for a company as it lets the people know abt the new products in the market..
In: But is too much required??
Me: Well too much of it I guess doesn’t has any harm, but it neither helps them.. Still advertisement is required… (At this moment I was thinking abt adsense adds on my blog )
In: What do u say abt the advertisements eg. For a bike, wont u look for the features rather than just blindly seeing the add...
Me: (I ‘thought’ again that I had my chance again) actually it’s all a matter of the image one haves in mind about a product. For example, let on one hand MS Dhoni endorse the bike, and on other hand Shah Rukh does it, now the image of shah rukh is larger than Dhoni (Sorry cudnt think of anybody else) for a person… take another example... The navratan teil, earlier it was endorsed by Govinda with a smaller image, now amitabh does it.. With the change in the person. The image of the product has become larger in your minds, so this provokes a person to try the product…
In: Do u think that the companies are imposing the products on the consumers..
Me: No ma’am these days consumer is the king…. A company produces what the consumer wants..
In: (I think I said sumthing abt sales and marketing before, I don’t remember) Whats the difference b/w sales and marketing..
Me: umm… umm…. Sir Sales is.. umm…
In: Do u know or are u just trying to make out...
Me: sir just trying to make out..
In: whats ur CGPA??
Me: Sir, 7.99
In: What’s GDP.
Me: Sir Gross……… umm..
In: What’s the GDP of India..??
Me: Sir don’t know…
In: You don’t know what’s GDP??
Me: I’m sorry Sir…I have not much of knowledge I this field…
In: Okay… You can go..
Me: (confused) Sir May I leave???

And as they say…. Rest is history…….


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always feared to be interviewed

Suneetinder Singh Walia said...

hmmmmmm. . 'history is what they call it'.. but this interview has given me goosebumps for i forsee it as my 'future as they say' it. . one thing i can assure you is that i would have fared much more worse had i been in your seet..hope you get selected, keep the fingers crossed(i still feel you'll be among the students with better chances of making it quite comfortably)..

Damanpreet singh said...

Your experience terrified me...What will happen to me in placement interviews etc..considering my cg i have to sit in many of them to get some job..I know it must have been terrible..neways you are sure to be selected..Best of luck for this MBA.